It’s a documented statistic that 1 omission and/or an error made in the requirements definition can lead to 6000 defects at the implementation stage of the software solution.
We provide Business Analysis services and skilled Business Analysts to the market who can clearly, crisply and comprehensively identify business needs and determine solutions to business problems.
We follow either an agile– or waterfall approach to defining requirements, depending on the need of our clients.
We follow a Customer-Centric Design towards developing Business Requirements Specifications
- Our approach results in Customer-centric designed processes and services aimed to delight your customers
- Through our extensive knowledge of the various industries and technologies we’ve learned what it means to immerse oneself in the day-to-day lives of customers……we’ve spent thousands of hours on various projects to truly understand customer needs and wants. We believe we have a very good understanding of the customer needs, habits, and practices as they relate to your business.
- Deep customer understanding is at the heart of your success. Our approach must be rooted in a desire to meet user needs in a way that creates value for both you and the customer.
BUSINESS REQUIREMENTS SPECIFICATION (BRS)
MetaPerformance specialises in developing Business Requirements Specifications (BRS) relating to Information Technology (IT) based systems. The BRS formally documents the business needs, both existing needs, and also the changes that are required in the status quo. It documents WHAT is required, and its primary audience is the designers (Solution Architects), who will determine HOW these needs are to be met.
By using the diagrams listed below we define the technology-independent requirements (the What):
- Context Level Diagrams
- Data Flow Diagrams
- Data Dictionary & Entity-Relationship Diagram
- State Transition Diagrams
- Business Rules
Level 0 – Context diagram – describes the particular environment at its highest level, showing interaction with other IT Systems and organisational functional areas/ processes.
Level 1 – expanded detail on Level 0. Each of the processes described at L0 is expanded on in more detail.
Level 2 – Detailed Business Process Maps and Descriptions – the Level 1 processes are decomposed into detailed process steps, triggers, inputs, outputs, roles, and required technology. The process flows specify the origin and destination of data; the flow of data; the processing of data – derivation of new data, changes in the value of existing data, and changes in the status of existing data. This Level also includes the development/specification of:
Rules that govern the process and related decisions.
Contains the functional requirements and statements.
Data Flows and Data Requirements – depicts the flow of data through the Value Streams (end-to-end processes) and how it must interface with the technology, stored data, and external system interfaces
- The Data/ Information requirements will be depicted by means of a Data Dictionary and Information Model (Entity Relationship Diagrams – ERDs). The latter will be depicted by both the Bachman and Chen notations.
- The Business Rules
- We take each of the Detailed Dataflow Diagrams and create what we call Process Specifications. At this level we define the Business Rules, i.e. IF this then ….ELSE ……..statements). This is close to programming language. The Process Specifications is often written in FORMAL STRUCTURED ENGLISH as explained by the examples below:
RECEIVE Availability Enquiry from CUSTOMER
IF Start Date > Today + 365 THEN REJECT Availability Enquiry and SEND message ‘date to far in future’ to CUSTOMER
ELSEIF Start Date <Today THEN REJECT Availability Enquiry and SEND message ‘date cannot be in past’ to CUSTOMER
CREATE Availability Enquiry Log from Availability Enquiry
WRITE Availability Enquiry Log to CUSTOMER AVAILABILITY ENQUIRY
CREATE Captured Availability Enquiry from Availability Enquiry Log
SEND Captured Availability Enquiry to ENHANCE AVAILABILITY ENQUIRY
IF Status is “Orange” then client has 7 days from making a reservation to pay a 50% deposit. IF 7 day limit is reached THEN notify USER “Contact Client”.
IF no payment made or no user intervention THEN delete booking
We’ve completed numerous Business Analysis projects very successfully and believe we can add value to you – we have a very good track record in performing Business Analysis leading to Business Requirements Specifications (BRS) as this is our field of specialisation.
- Development of a BRS for the replacement of their core ERP system (JD Edwards)
- Development of a BRS for the replacement of their core Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and RFP development and evaluation of vendors (bid evaluation)
- Alexander Forbes
- Development of a BRS for the replacement of their core ERP system (Financial and Procurement Module) and evaluation of vendors (bid evaluation)
- Development of a BRS for the replacement of their core HR system
- We’ve developed a detailed Business Requirements Specification (BRS) (Dataflow diagrams – end-to-end processes; data dictionaries; business rules; entity relationship diagrams) to assist Alexander Forbes Insurance (AFI) with the evaluation of TIA as a possible software solution
- We’ve developed a detailed BRS (Dataflow diagrams – end-to-end processes; data dictionaries; business rules; entity relationship diagrams) for a group-wide AF Retail Financial Needs Analysis (FNA) framework and a BRS for the Quoting processes for Wealth & Investments.
- We’ve developed a detailed BRS (Dataflow diagrams – end-to-end processes; data dictionaries; business rules; entity relationship diagrams) for AF Retail for an end-to-end Leads Management
- We assisted Investment Solutions (IS) to develop a BRS for a user-friendly “Practice Management Platform/ Solution” for Independent Financial Advisors/Brokers (IFAs) to use. The requirements was for this Practice Management Platform/ Solution to allow a Broker to perform functions such as new business development, updating/ adjusting current investments; compare the Investment Solution investment options with competitors etc.
- Scaw Metals
- Development of a BRS for the replacement of their core ERP system